Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chia
What a healthy chocolate chip cookies recipe?? So you might be starting to think that I have a bit of chocolate chip cookie obsession happening….who me? Nah, yeah, well okay – maybe. Todays little miracle was born out of a Facebook post by a friend – she posted this link to a recipe and in my every humble attempt to be a bit ‘healthier’ with my baking I thought I’d give it a go. I like ‘sneaky’ recipes where you can build in some goodness without it being noticed.
Anyway, on inspection of my cupboards I quickly realised I didn’t have all the things I needed so I improvised and created this recipe instead!
These cookies have a more ‘cakey’ texture than my ‘Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies’ but they still got a thumbs up from the teenager – who didn’t notice they were a healthy version, until about an hour later when he had some chia seeds stuck in his teeth (hehehehe). Next time I might even try replacing all of the brown sugar with rapadura and see how that goes – and I think you could even try coconut oil instead of butter for a dairy free option but I didn’t want to push the boundaries too far on the first go!
So give it a go they are yummy and the kids can’t be too sneaky with them – the chia seeds stuck in their teeth are a dead giveaway!
- Chia Chocolate Chip Cookies (made about 40 cookies)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp coarse salt
- 180 grams butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup rapadura
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ¼ cup chia gel (see note)
- 1 pack chocolate chips of choice ( I use dark)
- ½ cup chopped nuts of choice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (350 degrees F). Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Place butter, chia gel and both sugars and agave in a large mixing bowl. Cream together with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time beating throughly until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Add your flour mixture in three additions, adding it slowly to fully mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Once mixed, add your chocolate chips and nuts if using.
- Use a spoon to make cookies, leaving room between each.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown on edges and toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool. ENJOY!